Friday 21 October 2011

LARP: Battles with Boffers

Well I guess the title is a misconception as I didn't fight any battles recently with boffer weapons. (PVC pipe covered in foam wrapped in duct tape) I did however play a cool game called Aftermath. It's a new LARP (Live Action Role Play) for me as I use to play a different style all together.  This one is similar to the move Role-models. Of which I will speak of at a later date when I watch that movie again. Yes, again.

Anyway. I got to run around and pretend to be someone I'm not and heal people in ways I don't have the actual know how to do. Character creation is pretty hands on because you have to decide which paths to open. Once you have opened a path you can buy skills in that path or focus deeper into the path down other branches. And you are not limited to a single path or branch. If you want your skill tree to be a short bush do it. If you want to be a sequoia, DO IT! In the great words of Captain Planet "The choice is yours".

We played in Lake Murry State park in Oklahoma near the TX-OK boarder. So It was only a 4 hour drive from my base of Alva, OK to get there. A decent trip for a weekend event, but it was well worth it. The site, as mentioned in it's name, had a lake. A beautiful lake with cabins and a shower hall. You could tell by entering the cabins that during the summer these sites are rented out for youth camps as the graffiti plastered the walls and doors.

The game style was full immersion touch based. If you got hit by an uncalled weapon attack you took one damage. Simple enough, but dangerous in the post apocalyptic story. Even as a new character the lethality was similar to that of a well versed player. I enjoyed running around bringing the LOLs to people as the race I picked allowed me to troll all I wanted. Which is in great needs because of my oh so boring life style living in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, that is all I care to divulge about the game as anything I tell here about my character and the other players read is fully admissible in game.  I look forwards to trolling them again next month November 11-13th same place. Read above if you forgot.

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't get to beat on people with foamed PVC! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically I did. My character was a doctor, but not stupid. She spoke awkwardly and carried a big Stick... or pole arm ^_^

    ReplyDelete

If you want to make a suggestion for future props, or tutorials, or just have a question leave it under on of the posts and I will add it to the list. :)