Monday 15 February 2016

Married to an Entrepreneur 2: Intro/Ramble

So Hubby Dearest is one of those people who both wants to and has the drive to start and run a business. He’s not like me who is comfortable riding the slow escalator of life upwards. This man is crazy and takes the stairs, sometimes 4 at a time. All while knowing that sometimes the stairs he takes dead ends and he has to start all over again. As I mentioned before, he’s crazy and driven and loves doing it.

This however is something that I love and drives me nuts. I’ve mentioned before that I don’t handle my stress well.  I have many bad habits that stem from the stress issue. I eat my emotions. Wear my stress on my back and shoulders. I’m surprised I haven’t broken something back there. I worry about inane things and nit pick all the time. (I'm getting better but they are still bad habits.)

Okay, intro done.

Last week Hubby started a regular mundane job to bring money into the household. I work but I don't make enough to pay all of our bills and his new business make enough to pay it's bills but not enough to bring anything to us. I am glad he is doing this, however it means he is sacrificing at least 8 hours a day on a company that is not his own. Which in his mind calculates to lost time, money and effort.

My crazy Hubby is going to continue working hard until this business is self sufficient. I am just ready for this hard part to be over. I know it is "supposed to be worth it in the future".  However I am not they type of person to bet one thing now for a potential gain in the future. I don't take risks I don't think are necessary, which is why I find comfort in the mundane job he has taken on.

Risks are necessary in entrepreneurial adventures. It's just a part of the flow. If a business is still open after the first year, a good portion of their problems have been overcome. A Forbes article from 2013 states that "8 out of 10 entrepreneurs who start businesses fail within the first 18 months." (Link to Article) However a newer article from 2014 on LinkedIn says the number is closer to 50% survivability over 5 years. (Linked Link).

You can choose your preferred statistic but both make me feel uncomfortable. I am just hoping for the best while trying to support him as much as I can. Opening a new business is not easy. And one with competition is harder. However at least this business isn't in our old industry of Oil and Gas that is currently crashing and continuing to do so.







No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to make a suggestion for future props, or tutorials, or just have a question leave it under on of the posts and I will add it to the list. :)