Thursday 24 July 2014

Re-enforceing Grommets

A while back I attempted to make a ghawazee coat. I got to through the template part had pretty fabric but I was not thinking clearly when I made it. I stitched a light fabric to linen. It looks pretty but there was no way to make a closure that looked authentic/period without using a zipper. 

I was dissapointed and threw the project into one of my many "Deal with this later" boxes. Well it became time for that Later to come around. I decided to re-enforce grommits with a button-hole stitch.

 I had to tilt the grommets away from the seam as I did some fabric painting on the edges and I didn't want to loose that to the grommet holes. It means that it might not hold as well but I put pretty on and I want people to see the pretty. I then proceeded to hammer the grommets in with the help of my Husband. ((NOTE: These are fabric grommets that you can get at Joan's, Micheals, Hobbylobby. Not Leath Grommets.))

Let me tell you Button Holes can be abreviate to something inapporpiate. They are time consuming and require patience. They do however look nice when completed. To the left you will see the first hole and what the plain grommet looks like.

Not too shabby for my first attempt at button hole stitching. This weekend will be it's play test, literally as I will be larping in it. I will provide a finished image next week when I have a full kit (costume) picture as well. And I will tell you how well they stood up to the harsh beating it will take running around and playing.

Below is what it looked like half done. Left side grommets are done. Right side are plain silver grommets.

Just for clarification the color match from fabric to thread it much better in person than in the image. The fabric shines quite prevalently in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you want to make a suggestion for future props, or tutorials, or just have a question leave it under on of the posts and I will add it to the list. :)